The quiet game...

As I was on my home from my SOLO trip to the grocery store today I started thinking about how nice it was to go somewhere alone and not have to have any conversations. I could just think and not have to listen to anyone and not have to talk to anyone.

Then I started laughing (actually laughing OUT LOUD) to myself in the car as I thought, "I'll bet that is exactly one of the reasons we had what we called 'the quiet game' in our house growing up." (The game was reserved to mainly long road trips).
It is a simple game really.
Two rules:
#1-No talking or making any noises whatsoever.
#2-Mom and Dad give you a penny per minute of silence.

I wonder how old a child has to be to play this game.
What do you think the going rate of a child today would be?
I somehow believe that a penny just won't cut it anymore.

Mom and Dad, you're genius. Love you.

P.s. I love Hudson and love that he loves to talk to me and I love talking to him. The real truth is that I don't need him to play the quiet game, sometimes I just want to play it so I simply don't have to talk. Am I mean?

Comments

KENNARDS said…
ah, the quiet game. it doesn't work so well in our car. but to answer your question, no, you're not mean. silence is a beautiful thing and i think kids need to learn that it's ok for there to be silence!
That is awesome, we never got paid for that though! I am totally remembering this for a couple more years when just a couple of minutes of silence will be golden! I knew I liked your parents!
Sandy Stevens said…
Love that you remember things like this. My how things change, now we have to pay to have noise in the car. (ex.sirius radio, dvds, cds.) hmmm....

Popular Posts